"The one change that most needs to happen to make American education realize its potential as an engine of opportunity and economic growth is not better math and science instruction but a writing revolution that puts language and communication in their proper place in the classroom. More out-of-school time should also be used to encourage writing, and specifically, writing workshops for the students."National Commission on Writing in America's Schools and Colleges, The Neglected R: The Need for a Writing Revolution
Writopia Lab fosters joy, literacy, and critical thinking in children and teens from all backgrounds through creative writing. We do this by:
- Providing young people with the creative inspiration and intellectual environment that may not be available to them at school.
- Helping students become comfortable expressing themselves on paper and to ultimately cultivate (or maintain) a love of writing in each of them.
- Creating and sustaining a diverse community of young writers who find commonalities in a shared passion for ideas and expression.
- Offering discounted or waived fees to at least 40% of workshop participants.
- Providing an open, safe, and nurturing space for young people who are highly engaged in creative and intellectual endeavors.
- Providing an open, safe, and nurturing space for young people who struggle with verbal and written expression.
- Identifying ways that creative youth who struggle academically can use their gifts to further their academic success.
See what parents, teachers, principals, and our writers have to say about Writopia!
Support Writopia Today! Writopia Lab is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.