Congratulations 2020 Bay Area Scholastic Writing Awards recipients!
View the full list of works recognized in the 2020 Bay Area Writing Region of the Scholastic Writing Awards below!
A panel of professional novelists, editors, teachers, poets, librarians, journalists, and other literary professionals selected these works from nearly 2,000 works submitted this year.
- 320 Honorable Mentions awarded to promising works
- 185 Silver Keys awarded to distinguished works
- 130 Gold Keys awarded to the most accomplished works
- 5 American Voice Nominees selected as the strongest regional works
Gold Keys are automatically forwarded for consideration at the national level of the Scholastic Writing Awards.
To recognize their outstanding work, this year's Gold Key, Silver Key, and Honorable Mention recipients are invited, along with their guests, teachers, and our esteemed jurors, to the 2020 Awards Ceremony for the Bay Area Writing Region of the Scholastic Art & Writing Awards! RSVP now for seating and further details!
2020 Bay Area Regional Ceremony
- Date: Sunday, March 8th
- 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM
- Location: Koret Auditorium, San Francisco Public Library
- Address: 100 Larkin St, San Francisco, CA 94102
- Email: RegisterBayArea@writopialab.org
- Phone: (415) 805-8615
- Keynote Speaker: Rebecca Hanover
- RSVP form link
American Voices Nominees
These Gold Key works were selected by our jurors for consideration as the Bay Area Writing Region's National American Voices Medal, to be announced in March.
- Kaya Dierks of The Branson School, Ross CA, for "Broken Sidewalks: A Vignette Memoir" (Personal Essay/Memoir)
- Sarah Feng of Pinewood Private School, Los Altos Hills CA, for “Roman Holiday” (Short Story)
- Manasi Garg of Saratoga High School, Saratoga CA, for “Coming of Age in the City I Love” (Poetry)
- Esther Sun of Los Gatos High School, Los Gatos CA, for “Self-Portrait in the Hall of Mirrors; Separation Retold” (Poetry)
- Percy Unger of Oakland Technical High School, Oakland CA, for "Family Values" (Personal Essay/Memoir)