Congratulations 2020 Hudson-to-Housatonic Scholastic Writing Awards recipients!
View the full list of works recognized in the 2020 Hudson-to-Housatonic Writing Region of the Scholastic Writing Awards below!
A panel of professional novelists, editors, teachers, poets, librarians, journalists, and other literary professionals selected these works from more than 1,700 works submitted this year.
- 263 Honorable Mentions awarded to promising works
- 164 Silver Keys awarded to distinguished works
- 126 Gold Keys awarded to the most accomplished works
- 5 American Voice Nominees selected as the strongest regional works
Gold Keys are automatically forwarded for consideration at the national level of the Scholastic Writing Awards.
To recognize their outstanding work, this year's Gold Key, Silver Key, and Honorable Mention recipients are invited, along with their guests, teachers, and our esteemed jurors, to the 2020 Awards Ceremony for the Hudson-to-Housatonic Writing Region of the Scholastic Art & Writing Awards! RSVP now for seating and further details!
The Village Bookstore Prizes
The Village Bookstore of Pleasantville, NY is proud to present its 2020 prizes for middle school writers! These prizes of $50 for each student aim to empower and embolden middle school writers who demonstrate exemplary skill and promise in their writing abilities, and to encourage their interest in and love for the craft.
- Zoe Alsfine of Solomon Schechter School of Westchester, Hartsdale, NY, for "falling under" (Poetry)
- Avery Kim of Convent of the Sacred Heart, Greenwich, CT, for "Fly, Around Again" (Personal Essay & Memoir)
- Leo Mahlke of Schaghticoke Middle School, New Milford CT, for "Changes in Trousers" (Short Story)
- Maggie Strattner of John Jay Middle School, Cross River, NY, for "Who Am I?" (Personal Essay & Memoir)
- Ruimin Zhang of Somers Middle School, Somers, NY, for "When Your Mind Wanders" (Poetry)
- Annabel Zhou of Eastern Middle School, Riverside, CT, for "Down to Earth" (Science Fiction & Fantasy)
2020 Hudson-to-Housatonic Regional Ceremony
- Date: Sunday, May 31, 2020
- Time: 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM
- Location: Manhattanville College in Purchase, NY
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: (914) 401-4159
- Keynote Speaker: Barbara Dee
- RSVP form link
American Voices Nominees
These Gold Key works were selected by our jurors for consideration as the H2H Writing Region's National American Voices Medal, to be announced in March.
- Rachel Brooks of Christian Heritage School, for "Ghazal For Soft Earth" (Poetry)
- Elyza Bruce of Nonnewaug High School, for "The Examination" (Short Story)
- Natalie Mcdermott of Litchfield High School, for "Aftershocks" (Personal Essay & Memoir)
- Sophia Ramirez of Wilton High School, for "Ending Cycle" (Poetry)
- Gabrielle Sussman of Fox Lane High School, Bedford, NY, for "Thanksgiving Dinner" (Personal Essay & Memoir)