Writopia and the Scholastic Writing Awards
Every day at Writopia Lab, we witness the transformative power of being heard. Because of this experience, we are dedicated to giving teen writers the opportunity to be read—and celebrated—as part of the broader literary community. To help make this possible, Writopia Lab is the official affiliate partner of the Scholastic Writing Awards for these regions:
- Bay Area Writing Region
- DC Metro Writing Region
- Hudson-to-Housatonic Writing Region
- Chicago Writing Region
If you do not attend school in one of the regions above, you can find the local Scholastic Writing Awards program in your area.
About the Awards
Since 1923, the Scholastic Writing Awards have recognized and celebrated teens for their creative accomplishments. Open to all students in grades 7-12, participation in the Awards can make a tremendous impact in a young person's life. Noteworthy past recipients includes Joyce Carol Oates, Stephen King, Sylvia Plath, Truman Capote, Robert Redford, John Updike, Lena Dunham, and many more.
The Scholastic Awards is blindly adjudicated and there is no restriction on topic or content. Students can submit work to the Scholastic Writing Awards in the following categories.
- Critical Essay
- Dramatic Script
- Flash Fiction
- Novel Writing
- Personal Essay & Memoir
- Science Fiction & Fantasy
- Senior Writing Portfolio
- Short Story
Be a Juror
Are you a writer, educator, or literary professional? Sign up to receive information about judging opportunities in the DC Metro and Hudson-to-Housatonic Regions.
Educators and school administrators interested in learning about the Awards are encouraged to reach out to us at ScholasticSubmissions@WritopiaLab.org. We are happy to provide additional materials, or schedule an in-class visit to speak with young writers about opportunities provided by Writopia Lab and the Scholastic Writing Awards.
Submission Support for Students
Writopia Lab has been helping students compose and prepare work for the Scholastic Writing Awards since 2007. In that time, Writopia students have finished and submitted more than 4,000 works of writing to the Awards!
Writopia students have enjoyed unprecedented regional and national success in the Scholastic Awards. In workshops, however, our instructors place a premium on completing and polishing a work that the student is proud to submit.
The Scholastic Writing Awards is just one of many recognition and publications opportunities that Writopia Lab encourages students to pursue. Workshop students receive a monthly newsletter with a list of publication and recognition opportunities for young writers.
Important Tips for Writopians Submitting to the Scholastic Awards
- Students are assigned to a Scholastic Awards region based on the location of their day-school, not their home and not the location of their Writopia branch.
- Writopia Lab Regions are listed as an "Other Educational Programs" in the Scholastic Awards system.
- When searching the Other Education Program list for your Writopia region, type the location's zip code into the search field.
- Students should credit all Writopia Instructors that assisted with their work when prompted during registration. If an educator is not listed, students can add them to the system. To do so, they will need the instructors email.