Congratulations 2019 Bay Area Scholastic Writing Awards recipients!
A panel of professional novelists, editors, teachers, poets, librarians, journalists, and other literary professionals selected these works from 1,687 works submitted this year.
- 270 Honorable Mentions awarded to promising works
- 150 Silver Keys awarded to distinguished works
- 88 Gold Keys awarded to the most accomplished works
- 5 American Voice Nominees selected as the strongest regional works
Gold Keys are automatically forwarded for consideration at the national level of the Scholastic Writing Awards.
To recognize their outstanding work, this year's Gold Key, Silver Key, and Honorable Mention recipients are invited, along with their guests, teachers, and our esteemed jurors, to the 2019 Awards Ceremony for the Bay Area Writing Region of the Scholastic Art & Writing Awards! RSVP now for seating and further details!
2019 Bay Area Regional Ceremony
- Date: Sunday, March 10th
- 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM
- Location: Koret Auditorium, San Francisco Public Library
- Address: 100 Larkin St, San Francisco, CA 94102
- Email: RegisterBayArea@writopialab.org
- Phone: (415) 805-8615
- Keynote Speaker: Nina LaCour
- RSVP form link
American Voices Nominees
These Gold Key works were selected by our jurors for consideration as the Bay Area Writing Region's National American Voices Medal, to be announced in March.
- Dante Kirkman of Palo Alto High School, Palo Alto CA, for This Negro Speaks of Rivers! (Short Story)
- Meena Rakasi of Valley Christian High School, San Jose CA, for How To: Chai Lattes (Personal Essay/Memoir)
- Meena Rakasi of Valley Christian High School, San Jose CA, for “C., Gentileschi, Violin, First Rain” (Poetry)
- Olivia Treynor of Woodside Priory School, Portola Valley CA, for The Wooden Woman (Short Story)
- Samantha Yee of Saratoga High School, Saratoga CA, for Escapism (Short Story)