Congratulations 2021 Bay Area Scholastic Writing Awards recipients!
View the full list of works recognized in the 2021 Bay Area Writing Region of the Scholastic Writing Awards below!
A panel of professional novelists, editors, teachers, poets, librarians, journalists, and other literary professionals selected these works from more than 2,500 works submitted this year.
- 401 Honorable Mentions awarded to promising works
- 245 Silver Keys awarded to distinguished works
- 147 Gold Keys awarded to the most accomplished works
- 5 American Voice Nominees selected as the strongest regional works
Gold Keys are automatically forwarded for consideration at the national level of the Scholastic Writing Awards.
To recognize their outstanding work, this year's Gold Key, Silver Key, and Honorable Mention recipients are invited, along with their guests, teachers, and our esteemed jurors, to a nationwide online Awards Ceremony for regional Scholastic Writing Awards recipients!
- Date: Sunday, March 7th, 2021
- Time: 4:00 PM to 5:00 PM ET
- Keynote Speaker: David Levithan
- RSVP form link
American Voices Nominees
These Gold Key works were selected by our jurors for consideration as the Bay Area Writing Region's National American Voices Medal, to be announced in March.
- Kaya Dierks of The Branson School, for “Moving, Pictures” (Personal Essay & Memoir)
- Jasmine Kapadia of Palo Alto High School, for “Unquenched” (Poetry)
- Elane Kim, homeschool, for Small Things (Short Story)
- Sarah Fathima Mohammed of Harker Upper School, for “Homeland, Gone” (Poetry)
- Sneha Revanur of Evergreen Valley High School, for “Inside Cancer Alley and the Grim History of Environmental Racism That’s Killing Black Americans” (Critical Essay)