Congratulations 2021 DC Metro Scholastic Writing Awards recipients!
View the full list of works recognized in the 2021 DC Metro Writing Region of the Scholastic Writing Awards below!
A panel of professional novelists, editors, teachers, poets, librarians, journalists, and other literary professionals selected these works from more than 1,800 works submitted this year.
- 302 Honorable Mentions awarded to promising works
- 164 Silver Keys awarded to distinguished works
- 108 Gold Keys awarded to the most accomplished works
- 5 American Voice Nominees selected as the strongest regional works
Gold Keys are automatically forwarded for consideration at the national level of the Scholastic Writing Awards.
To recognize their outstanding work, this year's Gold Key, Silver Key, and Honorable Mention recipients are invited, along with their guests, teachers, and our esteemed jurors, to a nationwide online Awards Ceremony for regional Scholastic Writing Awards recipients!
- Date: Sunday, March 7th, 2021
- Time: 4:00 PM to 5:00 PM ET
- Keynote Speaker: David Levithan
- RSVP form link
American Voices Nominees
- Angel Benjamin of Paint Branch Senior High School, for “Of This Skin” (Poetry)
- Yasmine Bolden, homeschool, for “For Black Girls When the Loving Looks Like Leaving” (Poetry)
- Abigail Kim of Sidwell Friends Upper School, for “The Infestation” (Short Story)
- Esther Kim of Holton-Arms School, for “RESURRECTION” (Poetry)
- Lyat Melese of Thomas Jefferson High school for Science and Technology, for “I will not forget” (Personal Essay & Memoir)