Congratulations 2019 DC Metro Scholastic Writing Awards recipients!
View the full list of works recognized in the 2019 DC Metro Writing Region of the Scholastic Writing Awards below!
A panel of professional novelists, editors, teachers, poets, librarians, journalists, and other literary professionals selected these works from 1,323 works submitted this year.
It costs Writopia over $50,000 to run the Scholastic Writing Awards in three regions. Please donate today to help support this important work. Thank you!
- 219 Honorable Mentions awarded to promising works
- 144 Silver Keys awarded to distinguished works
- 81 Gold Keys awarded to the most accomplished works
- 5 American Voice Nominees selected as the strongest regional works
Gold Keys are automatically forwarded for consideration at the national level of the Scholastic Writing Awards.
To recognize their outstanding work, this year's Gold Key, Silver Key, and Honorable Mention recipients are invited, along with their guests, teachers, and our esteemed jurors, to the 2019 Awards Ceremony for the DC Metro Writing Region of the Scholastic Art & Writing Awards! RSVP now for seating and further details!
2019 DC Metro Regional Ceremony
- Date: Sunday, March 10th
- Time: 2:30 to 4:30 PM
- Location: Sixth & I Historic Synagogue
- Address: 600 I St NW, Washington, DC 20001
- Email: RegisterDC@writopialab.org
- Phone: (202) 629-9510
- Keynote Speaker: Rachel Louise Snyder
- RSVP form link
American Voices Nominees
- Faith (Mindy) Burton of Montgomery Blair High School, Silver Spring MD, for “Retired Teacher Accused of Sexual Harassment” (Journalism)
- Tyler Econa of Woodbridge High School, Woodbridge VA, for “Mother's Guide to Anatomy” (Poetry)
- Ian Partman of Georgetown Day High School, Washington DC, for In Praise of Immortality: Mama Daisy’s Death Sentence In The Afterlife of Slavery (Personal Essay/Memoir)
- Emily Tian of Richard Montgomery High School, Rockville MD, for “Concerning Memory” (Poetry)
- Gloria Wang of Oakton High School, Vienna VA, for “16th and Euclid” (Poetry)