Join Writopia Lab at our creative, fun, and productive sleepaway camp at Camp Danbee! Camp will run from August 14th to August 25th, 2023. At WriCampia, writers spend their mornings in intimate writing workshops led by published authors and produced playwrights, their afternoons participating in their choice of over 20 artistic and active electives, and their evenings at campfires, scavenger hunts, readings, and more. Photos from WriCampia can be viewed on our Facebook page.
Monday, August 14th through Friday, August 25th, 2023
$3,950 (limited financial aid is available)
Early registration (for returning campers and families who were waitlisted for WriCampia 2022) will open on Thursday, December 1st. Open registration for the general public will open on Thursday, December 15th.
If you would like to be notified about registration for WriCampia 2023, please join our mailing list.
To learn more about WriCampia, watch our 2022 Open House below! We will hold another Open House in December, 2022.
We welcome rising 5th graders through rising 12th graders. Bunks and workshops are organized by grade.
Rising 12th graders have the option of being Counselors-In-Training (CITs). CITs take part in camp as campers and also receive leadership opportunities that prepare them for professional experiences in the future.
We will provide buses to and from WriCampia for all campers. Buses will leave from and return to Manhattan; Brooklyn; West Orange, NJ; Hartsdale, NY; and Washington, DC.
Review our Frequently Asked Questions.
A Typical Camp Day
- 7:45 AM — Wake Up Call
- 8:15 AM to 9:00 AM — Breakfast
- 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM — Writing Workshop (led by published author or produced playwright)
- 12:10 PM to 12:50 PM — Lunch
- 1:00 PM to 2:25 PM — Daily Electives
- 2:25 PM to 3:00 PM — Rest Hour (at bunk & main line)
- 3:00 PM to 4:00 PM — Waterfront
- 4:00 PM to 4:15 PM — Snack
- 4:15 PM to 5:35 PM — Elective Track
- 5:45 PM to 6:30 PM — Dinner
- 6:30 PM to 7:30 PM — Shower Hour and free time
- 7:30 PM to 9:00 PM — Evening Activity
- 9:00 PM — Lower Camp Curfew
- 9:00 PM to 10:00 PM — Middle and Upper Camp Evening Electives
- 10:00 PM — Middle Camp Curfew (lights out 10:30 PM)
- 10:00 PM — Upper Camp Curfew (lights out 11:00 PM)
Campers will be able to customize their camp experience by choosing Elective Tracks from the list below!
*Visual Arts Track includes Graphic Novels, Illustration, Fashion/Costume Design, and Set Design for Page 2 Stage.
**Sports Track includes team sports, gymnastics, fitness, climbing, and sailing/water skiing.
Daily Electives include: Horseback riding, floating climbing structure, zine making, poetry hikes, illustration, musical theater, tie-dye, memoir, novel writing, swimming, boating, and more!
Evening Activities include: Scavenger hunts, campfires, spoken word, dance party, Track showcases, and more!
If you withdraw before the Withdrawal Deadline (May 15th, 2023), you will be eligible for a 50% refund. After May 15th, 2023, we will not be able to offer any refunds.
- What are the dates?
- WriCampia will run from Monday, August 14th to Friday, August 25th, 2023.
- Where is it?
- This year we will be running WriCampia at Camp Danbee in Peru, MA.
- How do I apply?
- Registration for returning campers (and families who were waitlisted for WriCampia 2022) will open before Thanksgiving. General registration will open by mid-December.
- Is financial aid available?
- Yes, we have limited financial aid available.
- How do I apply for financial aid?
- This all happens in CampMinder, where you will apply for camp. To apply, fill out your WriCampia application, indicate that you are applying for financial aid, and submit your complete financials via CampMinder. If you are applying for financial aid, you will not be required to pay a deposit. However, we will only be able to hold your spot for two weeks if you have not submitted your financials. Please do not email financial data to email@example.com.
- Payment Schedule
- A $500 deposit is due upon enrollment. This deposit will increase incrementally as we get closer to WriCampia. Following enrollment, parents will have the option to pay in full or set up a payment plan in CampMinder. This payment plan will set up equal monthly installments, with the last installment paid the first week of April 2023.
- Will Writopia provide transportation?
- Yes! We will provide buses to and from WriCampia for all campers. Buses will leave from and return to Manhattan; Brooklyn; Hartsdale, NY; and Washington, DC.
- When does enrollment close?
- When camp fills up. We will accept registrations onto a waiting list, but we cannot make any guarantee about a spot opening up. Returning families, please be aware that the early enrollment period is only two weeks long, and after that, we cannot hold a spot for your camper.
- How many writers are attending?
- The exact number of campers varies from year to year. For WriCampia 2023, we anticipate hosting about 225 campers.
- How can I see what my child is working on?
- Your camper will write their stories using Google Documents, so they can save them and share them with you when they come back from camp! We post daily photos to our Facebook page and record videos of performances and showcases to share with families.
- Where are most of the campers from?
- The majority of our campers come from New York City and its suburbs and from the greater Washington, DC area. Other campers come from all over the east coast, and from as far away as Chicago, Los Angeles, the San Francisco Bay Area, and even Europe.
- What is the camper to adult ratio?
- Three to one—not counting kitchen, grounds, and support staff!
- How many campers will be sleeping in each bunk?
- There will be 8 to 14 campers and two counselors in each bunk.
- Can I send my camper a package?
No. WriCampia is a no-package camp. Letters and cards will be delivered to campers. Other items will be held at the camp office.
If your camper forgot something they need, please reach out to the camp directors and we will make arrangements to help you get things to your camper.
- Can my child bring their own food?
- The kitchen staff on camp is very accommodating, always providing vegetarian and gluten free options. If your child needs (because of allergies or dietary restrictions) to bring their own meals or snacks, please let us know ahead of time. All food must be stored in the kitchen. No food may be kept in the bunks.
- How are the workshops organized? What is the atmosphere of the workshops?
- Morning workshops will have a ratio of eight writers to one instructor. All workshop leaders are published writers or produced playwrights who are experts in helping young writers understand and implement elements of plot and key literary tools. Sessions are peppered with original and fun writing exercises, but focus primarily on writing—and completing—creative pieces.
- Are the campers allowed phones or other electronics?
- Every writer will be given a Writopia laptop for workshop and writing. No personal laptops will be allowed at camp. Personal devices that can play music are allowed but not if they are capable of playing video.
- Will I be able to speak with my child during camp?
- Writers can, and are encouraged to, email home every day. Campers will be calling home approximately halfway through camp. They will call the phone numbers you supply when you register for camp.
- Will there be swimming?
- There is optional swimming every day except the first and last day of camp. In addition to a swimming pool, Camp Danbee also offers swimming, canoeing, kayaking, sailing, water skiing, and climbing activities on the lake. Pool and lake activities are only permitted when lifeguards are on duty.
- Does my child have to bring their own bedding?
- Yes. Campers must bring their own sleeping bags, blankets, sheets, pillows, pillowcases, and towels.
- Have any further questions?
- Watch the video of our 2022 Open House with the camp directors or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.