Join Writopia Lab for eleven days at our creative, fun, and productive sleepaway camp in the Poconos in August!
At WriCampia, writers spend their mornings in intimate writing workshops led by published authors and produced playwrights, their afternoons participating in their choice of over 20 artistic and active electives, and their evenings at campfires, scavenger hunts, and readings. Photos from WriCampia can be viewed on our Facebook page.
Join the WriCampia family as a staff member!
Registration and the waitlist for WriCampia 2022 have closed. If you would like to be notified about registration for WriCampia 2023, please join our mailing list!
To learn more about WriCampia, watch our 2022 Open House below!
$3,625 (Limited financial aid will be available.)
Monday, August 22nd, 2022 to Thursday, September 1st, 2022
- Campers who start school before the end of WriCampia have the option of joining us for a seven-day camp from Monday, August 22nd through Sunday, August 28th. We will offer a bus back to Tenleytown on Sunday, August 28th. If your camper starts school before September 2nd, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to make arrangements for this shorter time at camp. Tuition for this shorter session (which is available only to those who start school before September 2nd) is $2,395.
We welcome rising 5th graders through rising 12th graders. Bunks and workshops will be organized by grade.
Rising 12th graders have the option of being Counselors-In-Training (CITs). CITs take part in camp as campers and also receive leadership opportunities that prepare them for professional experiences in the future.
We will provide buses to and from WriCampia for all campers. Buses will leave from and return to Manhattan; Brooklyn; Hartsdale, NY; West Orange, NJ; and Washington, DC.
Review our Frequently Asked Questions.
A Typical Camp Day
- 7:15 AM Wake Up Call
- 8:00 AM to 8:45 AM Breakfast
- 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM Writing Workshop (led by published author or produced playwright)
- 12:00 PM to 12:45 PM Lunch
- 12:45 PM to 1:25 PM Free time (at bunk & main line)
- 1:25 PM to 2:50 PM Electives period 1
- 2:50 PM to 4:15 PM Electives period 2
- 4:15 PM to 4:25 PM Group gathering & snack
- 4:25 PM to 5:40 PM Electives period 3
- 5:45 PM to 6:30 PM Dinner
- 6:30 PM to 7:30 PM Shower hour and free time
- 7:30 PM to 9:00 PM Evening activity
- 9:00 PM Lower Camp curfew (lights out 9:30 PM)
- 9:00 PM to 10:00 PM Middle and Upper Camp Evening Electives
- 10:00 PM Middle Camp curfew (lights out 10:30 PM)
- 10:00 PM Upper Camp curfew (lights out 11:00 PM)
Campers will be able to customize their camp experience by choosing Elective Tracks from the list below!
- What are the dates?
- Monday, August 22nd 2022 to
Thursday, September 1st, 2022.
- How do I apply?
- Registration for WriCampia 2022 has closed.
- To apply, click here.
- I’m having trouble with the application process. Can you help me?
- Please email email@example.com for assistance with the application process.
- Is financial aid available?
- Yes, we have limited financial aid available.
- How do I apply for financial aid?
- This all happens in CampMinder, where you will apply for camp. To apply, fill out your WriCampia application, indicate that you are applying for financial aid, and submit your complete financials via CampMinder. If you are applying for financial aid, you will not be required to pay a deposit. However, we will only be able to hold your spot for two weeks if you have not submitted your financials. Please do not email financial data to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Payment Schedule
- A $500 deposit is due upon enrollment. This deposit will increase incrementally as we get closer to WriCampia.
- Following enrollment, parents will have the option to pay in full or set up a payment plan in CampMinder. This payment plan will set up equal monthly installments, with the last installment paid the first week of May 2022.
- Tuition, Refunds, and Camp Status
- We hear your excitement for WriCampia 2022, and we are excited too! We also know that people are still rightly concerned about COVID-19—and we share those concerns. We continue to plan for summer 2022, while paying close attention to all health guidelines given by state and federal government agencies. Though we know COVID-19 is not gone, we don’t foresee circumstances that would prevent us from running WriCampia 2022—as long as it is deemed safe to run camp, we will do so!
- If you decide that this is not the year for your camper to attend WriCampia, we understand. If you do sign up for WriCampia 2022 and then decide to withdraw before June 15th, you will be eligible for a 50% refund. We may additionally be able to give you a full refund minus your nonrefundable deposit, but only if we are able to fill your camper’s spot—governed solely by our assessment of whether or not any applicant campers would be a suitable replacement for your camper. After June 15th, we will not be able to offer any refunds.
- Will Writopia provide transportation?
- Yes! We will provide buses to and from WriCampia for all campers. Buses will leave from and return to Manhattan; Brooklyn; Hartsdale, NY; West Orange, NJ; and Washington, DC.
- When does enrollment close?
- When camp fills up—which will be soon! We will accept registrations onto a waiting list, but we cannot make any guarantee about a spot opening up. Returning families, please be aware that the early enrollment period is only two weeks long, and after that, we cannot hold a spot for your camper.
- How many writers are attending?
- The exact number of campers varies from year to year. For WriCampia 2022, we anticipate hosting about 180 campers.
- How can I see what my child is working on?
- Your camper will write their stories using Google Documents, so they can save them and share them with you when they come back from camp! We post daily photos to our Facebook page and record videos of performances and showcases to share with families.
- Where will camp be held?
- Independent Lake Camp, in beautiful Thompson, PA.
- Where are most of the campers from?
- The majority of our campers come from New York City and its suburbs and from the greater Washington, DC area. Other campers come from all over the east coast, and from as far away as Chicago, Los Angeles, the San Francisco Bay Area, and even Europe.
- What is the camper to adult ratio?
- Three to one—not counting kitchen, grounds, and support staff!
- How many campers will be sleeping in each bunk?
- There will be 8 to 14 campers and two counselors in each bunk.
- Can I send my camper a package?
No. WriCampia is a no-package camp. Letters and cards will be delivered to campers. Other items will be held at the camp office.
If your camper forgot something they need, please reach out to the camp directors and we will make arrangements to help you get things to your camper.
- Can my child bring their own food?
- The kitchen staff on camp is very accommodating, always providing vegetarian and gluten free options. If your child needs (because of allergies or dietary restrictions) to bring their own meals or snacks, please let us know ahead of time. All food must be stored in the kitchen. No food may be kept in the bunks.
- How are the workshops organized? What is the atmosphere of the workshops?
- Morning workshops will have a ratio of eight writers to one instructor. All workshop leaders are published writers or produced playwrights who are experts in helping young writers understand and implement elements of plot and key literary tools. Sessions are peppered with original and fun writing exercises, but focus primarily on writing—and completing—creative pieces.
- Are the campers allowed phones or other electronics?
- Every writer will be given a Writopia laptop for workshop and writing. No personal laptops will be allowed at camp. Personal devices that can play music are allowed but not if they are capable of playing video.
- Will I be able to speak with my child during camp?
- Writers can, and are encouraged to, email home every day. Campers will be calling home approximately halfway through camp. They will call the phone numbers you supply when you register for camp.
- Will there be swimming?
- There is optional swimming every day except the first and last day of camp. In addition to a swimming pool, Independent Lake Camp also offers swimming, canoeing, paddle boarding, kayaking, tubing, and climbing activities on the lake. Pool and lake activities are only permitted when lifeguards are on duty.
- Does my child have to bring their own bedding?
- Yes. Campers must bring their own sleeping bags, blankets, sheets, pillows, pillowcases, and towels.
- Have any further questions?
- Watch the video of our 2022 Open House with the camp directors or email us at email@example.com to learn more.