Congratulations 2020 Chicago Scholastic Writing Awards recipients!
View the full list of works recognized in the Chicago Writing Region of the 2020 Scholastic Writing Awards below!
A panel of professional novelists, editors, teachers, poets, librarians, journalists, and other literary professionals selected these works from over 400 works submitted this year:
- 93 Honorable Mentions awarded to promising works
- 53 Silver Keys awarded to distinguished works
- 39 Gold Keys awarded to the most accomplished works
- 5 American Voice Nominees selected as the strongest regional works
Gold Keys are automatically forwarded for consideration at the national level of the Scholastic Writing Awards.
To recognize their outstanding work, this year's Gold Key, Silver Key, and Honorable Mention recipients are invited, along with their guests, teachers, and our esteemed jurors, to the 2020 Awards Ceremony for the Chicago Writing Region of the Scholastic Art & Writing Awards in March! RSVP now for seating and further details!
2020 Chicago Regional Ceremony
- Date: Thursday, March 26th
- Time: 7:00 - 8:00 PM
- Location: UIC School of Theatre & Music, Recital Hall L285
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: (773) 425-4217
- RSVP form link
American Voices Nominees
These Gold Key works were selected by our jurors for consideration as the Chicago Writing Region's National American Voices Medal Nominees:
- Emily Cho of North Shore Country Day School, Winnetka IL, for "Post-Homeland Girl" (Poetry)
- Isabella Cho of North Shore Country Day School, Winnetka IL, for "Abecedarian: A Map of My World" (Personal Essay/Memoir)
- Calvin Brickner of Evanston Township High School, Evanston IL, for "Dead Mouse Blues" (Personal Essay/Memoir)
- Esther Orlov-Mayer of Evanston Township High School, Evanston IL, for "Waking" (Science Fiction & Fantasy)
- Charlotte McManus of Homewood-Flossmoor High School, Flossmoor IL, for "Mercury" (Flash Fiction)