Congratulations 2022 Bay Area Scholastic Writing Awards recipients!
View the full list of works recognized in the 2022 Bay Area Writing Region of the Scholastic Writing Awards below!
A panel of professional novelists, editors, teachers, poets, librarians, journalists, and other literary professionals selected these works from more than 2,300 works submitted this year.
Enroll at Writopia Lab!Join our online and in-person programs for the school-year and summer!
Spring Creative Writing Workshops
Summer Advanced Teen Writing Seminar
College Essay Writing workshops and private sessions
- 372 Honorable Mentions awarded to promising works
- 238 Silver Keys awarded to distinguished works
- 176 Gold Keys awarded to the most accomplished works
- 5 American Voice Nominees selected as the strongest regional works
Gold Keys are automatically forwarded for consideration at the national level of the Scholastic Writing Awards.
To recognize their outstanding work, this year's Gold Key, Silver Key, and Honorable Mention recipients are invited, along with their guests, teachers, and our esteemed jurors, to a nationwide online Awards Ceremony for regional Scholastic Writing Awards recipients!
- Date: Sunday, March 6th, 2022
- Time: 4:00 PM to 5:00 PM Eastern Time
- Keynote Speaker: “Wicked” author Gregory Maguire
- RSVP form link
American Voices Nominees
These Gold Key works were selected by our jurors for consideration as the Bay Area Writing Region's National American Voices Medal, to be announced in March.
- Ruhani Chhabra of Mission San Jose High School, for “somewhere, in rural asia (a menstrual hut as a birthday gift) / the bus ride home / 9/01/21, texas” (Poetry)
- Matt Hsu of San Francisco University High School, for “Relics of the Motherland” (Flash Fiction)
- Elane Kim of Stanford Online High School, for “Geomancy” (Short Story)
- Fiona Lu of Hillsdale High School, for “portrait of mother as nüwa” (Poetry)
- Michelle Qiao of Leland High School, for “Peeled” (Flash Fiction)