Creative Portfolio for Teen Writers
The Creative Portfolio program places an emphasis on understanding how writing in a variety of forms (narrative, poetry, memoir, script) enriches and informs every writer. These workshops challenge teen writers to set and achieve writing goals: completing multiple well-developed, polished pieces in different genres throughout the school year.
In-person and online options are available.
By building a community of teen writers connected via their literary passions and having lots of fun, we empower students as peer leaders, developing skills in writing, editing, analysis, and effective communication.
- Please include a writer’s statement demonstrating commitment and an eagerness to be challenged, and a 5 page writing sample
Participation in the school-year Creative Portfolio program includes:
- 33 weekly workshop sessions over the school-year
- Six online Master Classes, monthly (October through April, genres below subject to change) on Thursdays from 7:00 to 8:30 PM Eastern Time, 4:00 to 5:30 PM Pacific Time
- Oct 13, 2022: Comedy
- Nov 17, 2022: Memoir
- Jan 19, 2023: Playwriting
- Feb 16, 2023: Writing Diverse Characters
- March 16, 2023: Screenwriting
- April 20, 2023: Speculative Fiction
- A one-day online Submissions Prep workshop
- This one-day workshop in December is held for writers creating and polishing works for the Scholastic Writing Awards deadline
- Two hours of one-on-one Portfolio Review sessions between the writer and their instructor to be taken at any point during the school-year
- A bound copy of the Creative Portfolio Yearbook — an anthology of writing curated by Creative Portfolio teens
- Option (for an extra fee) to attend the Creative Portfolio Retreat over Memorial Day weekend 2023. Location TBD.
Creative Portfolio members will
- Be challenged to explore new genres
- Attend peer community events
- Receive weekly communications from Director of Teen Programs with relevant information, reminders, sign ups and planning will be sent each Tuesday
- “Epistles” with relevant information, reminders, sign ups and planning will be sent each Tuesday
- Complete an internship — mandatory for Creative Portfolio Teens 10th grade and up
- Participants commit to completing at least one trimester-long assistant teaching internship during the school year under the supervision of a workshop instructor OR
- Join a committee for the school year, such as
- Turning the Page: a social justice committee meeting bi-weekly on Tuesdays from 7:15 to 8:00 PM Eastern Time to plan round tables and curate an anthology
- Editorial Internship: working with Writopia Lab’s litmags
- Community and Literary Event Committee: meeting bi-weekly on Thursdays from 7:15 to 8:00 PM Eastern Time to help plan and organize regional in-person regional meetups and events including field trips
- Teen Writers Summit: organizing a community event in the fall
- Yearbook: organizing a project in the spring
- Alternately, Seniors have the option to fulfill High School senior internship placement
Creative Portfolio Tuition
- Payment for this school-year-long commitment can be made one of two ways:
- Pay at the beginning of the school year (with a discount)
- For families who choose to pay in one sum for the whole school year, the fee is $2,355 (compared to a $2,600 value), and can be paid before we start in September.
- Pay at the beginning of every trimester
- For families who need to make payment once per trimester, or wish to use our sliding scale, please reach out to email@example.com. Everyone is able to participate in Writopia Lab programs, despite economic constraints
Creative Portfolio writers are expected to commit to their workshop time throughout the school year and there are no make-ups for absences. However, as we are a national community and Creative Portfolio workshops are online, we are able to make some exceptions if you have a schedule change/conflict. If you have another extracurricular that will absent you from three or more workshop sessions, we can work with you if we are given ample notice.