Safety at Writopia’s Labs
If you are inquiring about COVID-19 precautions for WriCampia (our sleepaway camp program), please visit our WriCampia page. The information below applies to workshops and day camps held at our labs.
We take the threat of COVID-19 very seriously and work to create as safe an environment as is reasonably possible.
As the situation with COVID-19 evolves and as guidance from the CDC, FDA, and local health authorities evolves, so will our policies regarding safety and protocols.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Are you offering in-person workshops this summer?
- Yes, we plan to offer both in-person and online options this summer. That page will be updated as we add more offerings.
- Do your workshop spaces have air filtration systems?
- Yes! Our workshop spaces will either (1) have a stand-alone air purifier or (2) be serviced by a commercial HVAC system.
- Will you be contact tracing in the event of a COVID-19 exposure in one of your programs?
- Yes! We will collect contact information for everyone who enters any of our spaces.
- If my writer is attending a workshop, do you have a waiting room for a parent, caregiver, or sibling to sit in?
- Unfortunately, we don’t have sufficient space at our Labs to safely accommodate additional people beyond those who are enrolled in our programs. You can drop off your writer and pick them up outside our office.
- Will you be conducting testing?
- No, we will not be testing people on site.
- What are your social distancing protocols?
- Although the CDC has changed their guidance from having masked people sit six feet away from each other to three feet away from each other, in our workshop spaces, instructors and writers will sit at least four feet apart from each other.
- Will you perform temperature checks upon arrival?
- No. Research does not indicate that temperature checks are accurate enough to use as screening tools.
- What are your policies on masks?
- All writers, instructors, staff, and visitors in our spaces will be required to wear masks at all times, except for when taking a sip of a beverage. All masks should fit correctly (no valve; sits snugly against the sides of the face) and must be worn over their nose and mouth and secured under their chin.
- Will my child’s instructor be enforcing these safety precautions?
- Yes! Our instructors will be well-trained in our precautions and will know how to enforce policies. If instructors see a writer not wearing their mask properly, they will kindly ask the writer to fix their mask. In the unlikely event that a writer doesn’t abide by precautions after repeated reminders, we will have them step outside with a staff member until a parent or legal guardian can pick them up.
- How are your spaces being cleaned?
- Fortunately, there is almost no evidence of surface-based transmission of COVID-19. That said, we will clean high-traffic surfaces — including computers and doorknobs — regularly.
- Will your staff be vaccinated?
- Yes! All staff members on-site will be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, including the waiting period after the last dose of the vaccine they are given.
- Will writers be able to eat and drink in workshop?
- Writers may drink water or other beverages in workshop; they must replace their mask as soon as they are done taking a sip.
- Will you require writers to wash their hands?
- Yes! Each location will have at least one sink with hot water and soap, and each space will also have a hand sanitizer dispenser. Whenever someone enters our spaces, they will be required to clean their hands.
- Will families sign safety agreements?
- Yes! Every writer’s parent or legal guardian will be required to sign a document that affirms the following for all members of their household: that as far as you are aware, your household has not been exposed to anyone with COVID-19 in the last two weeks, nor has anyone in your household experienced symptoms of COVID-19 in the past two weeks.