Who did it, what happened, and why? In these sessions, writers will craft their own suspense stories with interconnected characters that they’ve created and investigated together.
Topics explored include:
- An understanding and exploration of mystery writing terminology, including red herring, sleuth, motive, cliff hanger, foreshadowing, alibi, and more!
- Creating tension and suspense in narratives.
- The retention of some information to keep the reader on their toes, while still incorporating purposeful details to keep the reader grounded.
- Building settings that really inform the tone of the story.
- Mystery’s impact and usefulness in writing outside of the mystery genre.
Sessions will include mystery-based writing games, discussion, and guidance from the instructor. Each session ends with a group workshop, in which writers share with each other and gain feedback from their peers.